Oxton Primary School is best known as Channelkirk and is situated in the village of Oxton located in the Scottish Borders. Its name is taken from the Parish of Channelkirk.This building was built around 1865 and is still in use. The first head-teacher of this school, according to records, was Mr.H.M.Liddell who joined the school in 1866 and retired in 1912.
In Main Street, Oxton, stands a house called Clorabank. This is the old Channelkirk School. In 1795 the school was shifted down hill from Channelkirk to Oxton Village. It was found that the children had some difficulty reaching Channelkirk in winter. The school and schoolhouse were one building; the school in one room on the ground floor and the headmasters living quarters upstairs on the first floor. The school was known as “Nicol Dodd’s School”. The picture below shows the entrance to the Schoolhouse from the early 1900′s.